Why choose Elevate® Se?
Elevate Se was formulated to supply a combination of powerful antioxidants that support the scavenging and neutralizing of the damaging oxidative byproducts known as free radicals. This unique blend of natural vitamin E and organic selenium yeast support healthy muscle, nerve and reproductive functions, and maintain a strong immune system.
Vitamin E and selenium work together to defend cells from damage
Selenium works in concert with vitamin E to defend the body’s cells from damaging oxidative byproducts known as free radicals. Free radicals are released during normal energy production. Selenium is a component of glutathione peroxidase, a beneficial enzyme that prevents free radicals from forming and destroys lipid peroxidases (non-beneficial enzymes), which damage cell membranes. Once damaged, cells no longer function properly, leaving horses susceptible to multiple health problems.
Horses use energy to fuel bodily functions and movement. The greater the demand for energy, the greater the number of free radicals produced. Your horse’s body is equipped to deal with small amounts of these oxidative byproducts, but as the demand for energy increases, so does your horse’s need for additional antioxidants like vitamin E and selenium to counter the onslaught of free radicals. Hard-working horses, breeding stock, horses consuming feedstuffs low in selenium, or horses with certain muscular disorders may require supplemental vitamin E and selenium.
- Elevate Se provides a highly bioavailable and safe source of natural vitamin E and organic selenium to horses living in selenium-deficient areas of the country or to those that need additional antioxidant support.
- The organic selenium yeast found in Elevate Se is similar to that which horses would consume in a natural grazing situation. Because of its more natural form, horses absorb and retain more organic selenium in their tissues, ensuring it is readily available when needed.
- Elevate Se’s concentrated formula includes 1 mg of selenium and 1,500 IU of vitamin E per 1/4-oz serving.
Elevate Se is recommended for:
Elevate Se is formulated specifically for horses that require supplementation with highly bioavailable sources of both vitamin E and selenium. This concentrated formula provides 1,500 IU of natural vitamin E and 1 mg of selenium per 7-gram (1/4-oz) serving.
- Breeding mares, foals, and stallions
- Horses maintained on high-forage diets or diets low in selenium, including overweight horses, laminitic horses, insulin-resistant or metabolically challenged horses
- Horses in exercise, training or competition
- Horses that fatigue quickly during exercise or those that recover slowly after exercise
- Horses with limited access to fresh green pasture or those grazing on pasture in areas where soils are deficient in selenium
- Horses with neuromuscular disease
- Senior horses
Over-supplementation with selenium can result in toxicity, so care should be taken when adding selenium to your horse’s diet. Do not feed more than recommended levels unless instructed to do so by a veterinarian or qualified equine nutritionist. If you are unsure of your horse’s selenium status, consult a veterinarian or equine nutritionist before adding supplemental selenium to the diet.
Elevate Se Contains
1 mg of organic selenium per 7 gram scoop
1,500 IU natural vitamin E per 7 gram scoop.
Vitamin E: Natural vs. Synthetic
Vitamin E is the most powerful antioxidant in the equine diet. But not all forms of the vitamin are created equally. Most supplements contain synthetic vitamin E (dl-alpha-tocopherol acetate), which is petroleum-based and not as potent as natural plant-based vitamin E (d-alpha-tocopherol acetate). Compared with synthetic vitamin E, the body can more efficiently transport and deliver natural vitamin E to targeted tissues. Current research in several species, including horses, shows that natural vitamin E is two to three times more potent than synthetic.
Selenium: Organic vs. Inorganic
Elevate Se is formulated with an organic source of selenium yeast that is more digestible than commonly used inorganic selenium (sodium selenite) (Pagan et al., 1999). Organic selenium is produced by yeast, while inorganic selenium is salt-based. The yeast form of selenium is similar to that which horses would consume in a natural grazing situation. Because of its more natural form, horses absorb and retain more organic selenium in their tissues, ensuring it is readily available when needed. Organic selenium yeast is absorbed differently from its inorganic counterpart so it is a safer means of supplementation.
Serving and Storage
Elevate Se serving instructions:
1 scoop = 1,500 IU vitamin E and 1 mg selenium. Mix in feed.
Provide 1 scoop per day mixed in with daily feed ration. Do not feed more than 1 scoop per day unless directed to do so by a licensed veterinarian.
Storage and shelf life:
Store Elevate Se in a cool, dry place. Reseal lid during storage. Shelf life is 24 months from date of manufacture when stored under suitable conditions.
2-lb container (130-day supply for 1 horse)