Feeding Horses in Drought Conditions
Click here to download a print version of this infographic.
Text-only version of “Feeding Horses in Drought Conditions”
During drought conditions, pastures may not provide enough fiber and energy to meet your horse’s nutrition requirements. Feeding additional hay may be necessary.
If additional calories are still needed, consider a high-fat supplement.
Horses should consume at least 1.5% to 2% of body weight per day in forage.
Supplemental forage in the form of hay or hay cubes may be needed.
Vitamin and Mineral Support
- Drought-stricken pastures and supplemental forage are likely to be deficient in vitamins and minerals,
- especially vitamin E.
- The vitamin content of hay declines dramatically in the first few weeks of storage.
- Add a complete vitamin and trace mineral supplement with natural vitamin E to support optimal health.
Hoof and Joint Support
- Exercising on hard ground or stomping flies in the field can stress hooves and joints.
- If your horse is prone to poor-quality hooves, add a well formulated hoof supplement with at least 20 mg of biotin.
- Support performance horses, senior horses, and recreational horses with a joint supplement that contains glucosamine, chondroitin, and hyaluronic acid.
Digestive Tract Support
- Make diet changes slowly when introducing a new forage, supplement, or concentrate.
- The addition of supplemental prebiotics and probiotics will support a healthy digestive tract during feed changes.
- Use electrolytes daily to replace the minerals and fluids lost in sweat and to support drinking and maintain hydration.
- As always, be sure that your horses have access to plenty of fresh water, especially during a hot, dry spell.
Equi-Jewel® – Adds calories to your horse’s diet without the risk of grain overload.
Micro-Phase™ – Micro-Phase offers the perfect solution by providing the vitamins and trace minerals necessary to support good health in a tasty, low-calorie pellet.
Elevate® Natural Vitamin E – Vitamin E, a powerful antioxidant, limits the damage caused by everyday oxidative stress. It maintains healthy muscle and nerve function and supports a strong immune system in horses of all ages.
Ker-A-Form™- Say No to cracks, crumbling walls and lost shoes.
Joint Armor™ – Supports soundness and maintains healthy joints.
Neigh-Lox® Advanced – Horses with a healthy GI tract absorb optimal levels of nutrients and maintain a normal weight. They have a healthy immune system and are less prone to digestive health issues.
Summer Games® Electrolyte – Replenishes critical electrolytes in the proper ratios. Supports drinking and maintains hydration.