Spring Cleaning Checklist for Your Barn and Horse Farm
Click here to download a print version of this infographic.
Text-only version of “Spring Cleaning Checklist for Your Barn and Horse Farm”
Spring is here. It’s time to get started on your spring cleaning plan.
On cleaning day, be sure to:
- Turn out horses so they are not exposed to dust stirred up by cleaning.
- Open all windows and doors for ventilation.
- Scrub buckets, feed bins and water tanks that were difficult to clean during cold weather.
- Remove dust and cobwebs from all surfaces, including rafters.
- Inspect your barn; complete any repairs or maintenance.
- Don’t forget to check wiring for rodent damage.
- Clean gutters and downspouts.
- Clean hayloft.
- Strip stalls, scrub walls, remove and disinfect mats.
- Repaint or re-stain walls.
- Repair or level floor underneath mats.
- Before re-bedding, make sure everything has air dried.
- Clean and replace any old or damaged feed bins.
- Check the quality and dates on all supplements, feeds, and medications. Discard all outdated drugs or supplements.
- Inspect smoke detectors; replace batteries and any non-functioning units.
- Inspect fire extinguisher; replace as needed.
- Review your plan for spring weather emergencies.
- Restock first-aid kit.
- Disinfect and clean brushes.
- Send blankets for cleaning and repair, then store in a dry rodent-proof location.
- Check automatic waterers.
- Clean out and inspect run-in sheds.
- Walk the fence line and make repairs.
- Walk the field and fill any holes.
- Inspect pasture quality.
- If needed, send samples off for testing to develop a fertilizing plan.
- Chain harrow to spread manure, dead grass, and even out rough areas.
- Add gravel as needed to high traffic areas like walking paths and gates.
- Work on problem drainage areas you noticed over the winter.
- Harrow and drag arenas.
- Inspect your footing and perform maintenance.
- If you have trails you frequently use, you may need to pick up fallen trees and limbs.
- Look for rust.
- Inspect tires.
- Check lights and brakes.
- Look under the mats for any floor damage.
- Inspect roof and windows for leaks.
- Lubricate hinges.