Vitamin Deficiencies – Who Is at Risk?
Certain types of horses are at higher risk of developing vitamin deficiencies than others. It may be because they are unable to eat adequate amounts of fortified concentrates or consume enough green grass. Sometimes age plays a role too. At-risk horses will benefit from a balanced, low-calorie vitamin and mineral supplement.
Who is at risk?
- Easy keepers eating a handful or two of grain a day and/or those on restricted pasture
- Horses and ponies in light work consuming all-forage diets with little or no access to good quality fresh pasture
- Horses and ponies fed unfortified grains such as oats
- Horses and ponies on restricted diets due to obesity issues
- Older horses and ponies that are unable to digest and absorb nutrients efficiently
- Growing horses in hard training or mature horses with a demanding workload
- Learn more about vitamin deficiencies in our “Does Your Horse Need Extra Vitamins?”
[…] From the KPP Tips & Tricks Blog: […]