What Do You Know About Heaves?

Heaves is often triggered when a horse inhales airborne particulates such as dust, mold, mites, and other substances into their lungs. If a horse is allergic to a specific particle it triggers an inflammatory response, which leads to swelling and mucus production in the lungs. Inflammation and mucus restrict air flow, and over time can damage airway tissues. Some horses have a genetic predisposition to allergies. Some allergies are present at birth and others are caused by chronic exposure. If you have a horse prone to allergies, reducing airborne particulate levels by wetting hay and feed before offering it to your horse is a helpful strategy.



1 Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *