10 Tips to Improve Your Dressage Test
Kentucky Performance Products’ newest sponsored rider is Reese Koffler-Stanfield. She offers 10 tips to improve your dressage test at horseshows.
- Organize all your clothes, tack, and equipment the week before the show.
- Practice riding through your test before you get into the show ring.
- Develop an overall plan and timetable for the day of the show. Be sure to include your warm-up time.
- Understand the geometry of your test. You can gain valuable points by being precise in the test movements.
- Ride into the corners when the test calls for it and use that time to reorganize yourself and your horse.
- Don’t rush through your test—remember that you prepared properly at home and paid a lot to be at the show.
- Always ride a straight center line.
- Make sure that whenever you ride halts in the test you make them square.
- Practice staying relaxed, and if you need to, have a “dress rehearsal” at home. Braid your horse and wear all your show clothes to get a feel for the “real thing.”
- Remember to smile and be grateful. You and your horse have the pleasure of showing. It should be fun!