Tips for feeding special needs horses in the winter
Text alternative for: Tips for feeding special needs horses in the winter
Preventing winter weight gain in easy keepers.
• Monitor your horse’s weight carefully during winter breaks and, if necessary, back off on concentrates.
Equine Weight Formulas
(Measurements in inches)
• Adult Horse: (heart girth x heart girth x body length) ÷ 330 = body weight in pounds
• Yearling: (heart girth x heart girth x body length) ÷ 301 = body weight in pounds
• Weanling: (heart girth x heart girth x body length) ÷ 280 = body weight in pounds
When you feed less than the recommended amounts of a commercial concentrate, you need to supplement with a complete vitamin and mineral pellet to ensure your horse’s nutrient requirements are met.
Weight loss in hard keepers and how to avoid a winter energy crisis.
• Long hair coats often mask weight loss, so monitor your horse’s weight carefully.
• Provide free-choice high-quality forage 24/7, when possible.
• When additional calories are needed, add a high-fat supplement to the diet.
• Provide a digestive tract supplement to ensure digestive health and stimulate the appetite.
Tip for Easy Keepers
Never cut back on hay to reduce calorie intake; instead, change to a more mature grass hay that will provide plenty of fiber but less energy.
Careful winter management reduces the risk of health problems in metabolically challenged horses.
• Continue feeding a low starch and sugar diet throughout the winter months.
• When additional calories are needed to keep your horse warm in cold weather, increase the amount of grass hay you feed.
• If you need even more calories to maintain body weight or provide energy, add a high-fat supplement that is low in starch and sugar to the diet.
Ensure your horse’s nutrient requirements are met this winter. Micro-Phase offers the perfect solution by providing the vitamins and trace minerals necessary to support good health.
Micro-Phase is recommended for:
• Easy keepers
• Horses on restricted diets (processed forages and small quantities of concentrates)
• Horses without access to at least part-time grazing on quality pasture grass
• Horses consuming feeds grown in deficient areas
• Senior horses in need of additional nutrients Micro-Phase contains highly bioavailable vitamins, natural vitamin E, and chelated minerals.
Article written by KPP staff.
Copyright (C) 2015 Kentucky Performance Products, LLC. All rights reserved.
Article sponsored by Micro-Phase, which provides essential vitamins and trace minerals missing from forages and unfortified diets in an easy-to-digest form.
When health issues arise, always seek the advice of a licensed veterinarian who can help you choose the correct course of action for your horse. Supplements are intended to maintain healthy systems and support recovery and healing. They are not intended to treat or cure illness or injury.
About Kentucky Performance Products, LLC:
Since 1998, Kentucky Performance Products has simplified a horse owner’s search for research-proven nutritional horse supplements that meet the challenges facing modern horses. KPP horse supplements target specific nutritional needs and are formulated to complement today’s feeds, thus safeguarding against over-supplementation. Each product is scientifically formulated and made with high-quality ingredients at certified manufacturing facilities. Kentucky Performance Products is proud to offer a quality assurance promise backed by a money-back guarantee. Kentucky Performance Products brings you horse supplements you can count on because the horse that matters to you, matters to us.